Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; so don’t take yours for granted. Proper sun care includes protecting the eyes with sunglasses and proper products. Not only can the delicate eye tissue of the upper and lower lids get sunburned but the actual eye cells can be damaged from years of overexposure to UV rays. Below Dr. G suggests a few solutions for keep the eyes youthful looking and safe.
photo via @margoandme
Dr. G recommends:
- The bigger and darker the better
- Sunglasses should cover the entire eye- think Jackie O!
- The darker the lens the more protection
- Wrap around shades if exercising or working in direct sun
- Eye tissue is 15% thinner than facial skin-protect it!
- SPF must be worn around the eye area
- 10% of skin cancers are around the eye area
- Crows feet love sun damaged skin
After sun products
- Exfoliate the gentle skin-think AHA + Lactic acid
- Treat the eye area with antioxidants to reverse sun damage
- Think vitamin c, ferulic acid, vitamin b and powerhouse Retinol
- Hydrate the upper and lower lids with a moisturizing eye cream
- Fight darkness/puffiness with ingredients arnica and peptides
- Children have larger pupils than adults which allows more sun in
- Encourage hats
- Choose a clean SPF and apply everywhere
- Encourage kids to wear sunglasses (Velcro wrap around glasses)
- Goggles in the water as eye can be susceptible to UV rays off the water reflection